Sony FE 14 mm F1.8 GM ( SEL14F18GM ) is a compact, large F1.8 aperture, an ultra-wide-angle lens that is part of their premium G-Master series of lenses. This is made for Sony Alpha E-mount Full Frame cameras. You can use it on a crop sensor APS-C camera as well, albeit with a crop ( 21mm ).
The fast F1.8 aperture makes it a great lens to have for astrophotography. The ultra-wide 14mm focal length and G Master lens quality make it a wonderful lens to use in real estate interior photography and landscape photography as well. This lens boasts sharp resolution from corner to corner with little to no distortion. It weighs just 460g. Comparing to the Sigma 14mm lens, this lens is much compact and lightweight. Check out the Dpreview review of this lens comparing these two lenses here.
Sony has used Two XA (extreme aspherical) elements and one aspherical lens element to get an excellent resolution out of this lens. It also has Two ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements and one Super ED glass element to suppress chromatic aberration issues and offer good contrast and image quality. To get a circular and smoother bokeh, this lens has a 9-blade circular aperture mechanism.
Usually,, ultra-wide-angle lenses do not need super fast autofocus features. Sony, however, is using two XD (extreme dynamic) Linear Motors to get fast and accurate Auto-focus even at wide open at F1.8. To use filters like ND filters, you will have to use the rear filter holder as you can’t screw in a filter at the front due to the bulbous front glass which is common on ultra-wide-angle lenses. As always with a G-Master lens, Sony FE 14 mm F1.8 GM SEL14F18GM lens also has a dust and moisture resistant design.
Sony FE 14 mm F1.8 GM Lens Specifications
- Mount: Sony E-mount 35 mm full-frame
- Focal length: 14mm
- Aperture range: F1.8 – F16
- Lens construction: 14 elements in 11 groups
- Min focus distance: 0.82 ft
- Two XD (extreme dynamic) Linear Motors for Autofocus
- 9 bladed circular aperture
- Customizable focus hold button
- Aperture ring with click-stop switch
- Linear Response MF
- Fluorine coating on the front and rear elements
- 2x ultra-precise XA elements
- 2x ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements
- One Super ED (Extra-low Dispersion)
- Nano AR Coating II
- Dust and moisture resistant design
- APS-C focal length: 21mm
- Weight: 460 g
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.