Canon has launched a new RF lens. It’s not your typical portrait, telephoto or landscape lens, instead, it’s a Dual Fisheye lens that’s let you capture 180-degree 3-Dimensional (3D) stereoscopic visuals.
Canon RF5.2mm F2.8 L Dual Fisheye Lens has a launch price of $1,999 in the US and is now available to pre-order online from Amazon US. This item will be released on December 23, 2021. Check here for the current pricing and availability.
Canon boasts the RF5.2mm F2.8 lens as the world’s first digital interchangeable lens capable of enabling stereoscopic 3D 180° VR shooting to a single image sensor. This lens, as of this writing works only on Canon’s EOS R5 bodies. Canon is also launching a paid subscription-based EOS VR Utility and EOS VR Plug-in for Adobe Premiere Pro to help you with creating better VR photos and videos with this lens.
From the manufacturer
As part of the EOS VR System – this lens paired with the EOS R5 updated with firmware 1.5.0 or higher and one of Canon’s VR software solutions – you can create immersive 3D that can be experienced when viewed on compatible head mount displays including the Oculus Quest 2 and more. Now, creators can go from traditional stills or video shooting to stereoscopic 3D capture with a simple lens swap. The pairing of this lens and the EOS R5 camera brings high-resolution video recording at up to 8K DCI 30p and 4K DCI 60p.
Canon RF5.2mm F2.8 L Specs
- Focal length: 5.2mm
- Interpupillary Distance: 60mm ( Distance between Left and Right Lens Centers )
- Lens Construction: 12 Elements in 10 Groups
- Aperture blades: 7
- Angle of View: 190°
- Maximum Magnification (x): 0.03x
- Minimum Aperture: F16
- Anti-dust and Moisture: Yes
- Special glass elements: Two UD glass elements
- Focus: Manual focus only
- Lens coatings: Canon SSC, Canon SWC, Fluorine Coating
- Weight: 350g
- Closest Focusing Distance: 0.2m / 0.66ft
EOS VR Utility Features
- Convert images into equirectangular projections
- Supports toggling between images/footage shot by the left and right lenses.
- Supports image straightening/parallax correction
- Supports playback and basic cutting of 180-degree VR images
- 8K File conversion to different sizes and file format
- LUTs (Lookup Tables) support
- Supports output to DPX (Digital Picture Exchange) and Apple ProRes for NLE (non-linear editing) purposes.
Source: Canon, Amazon US
As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.