Nikon has launched Z9 Mirrorless Camera in the US. It has a launch price tag of $5,499.95 ( body only ) and is now available to pre-order online from Amazon US. Nikon has also launched a few new lenses along with the Z9 – NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S, NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S and NIKKOR Z 24-120mm f/4 S. Other products Nikon launched today are Mount Adapter FTZ II ( $249.95 ), NX Tether and NX MobileAir.
Nikon Z9 is the flagship Mirrorless camera aimed at both professional photographers and videographers. It is one of the first, high-end cameras to come without a mechanical shutter. Like many Nikon DSLRs, the new Z 9 also has a beefy, heavy, and robust professional-looking body with a lot of buttons and dials to help you get the best shot possible.
Nikon Z 9 features a 45.7MP sensor offering 8K UHD video recording support. The sensor has a base ISO sensitivity of 64 and can go up to 25600. This new camera comes with an EN-EL18d rechargeable Li-ion battery and is also compatible with older EN-EL18c, EN-EL18b, EN-EL18a, and EN-EL18 batteries. According to the official specs sheet, the Z9 can shoot up to 770 shots on a full charge. These numbers are often conservative, and hence you sure can shoot much more shots than the claimed 770 CIPA rating.
The Z9 comes with a Vertically and horizontally tilting TFT display with a 3.2 inch 2100 k dots touch-sensitive LCD screen. The EVF is a 0.5 inch, 3690k-dot (Quad VGA) OLED electronic viewfinder with color balance and manual brightness controls. This camera doesn’t support regular SD Cards but takes CFexpress (Type B) or XQD Type Memory cards for faster performance.
All in all, Nikon has made a fantastic high-end professional camera that has features to compete with the likes of Sony A1 and Canon EOS R6 bodies. Nikon claims the Z9 to have the World’s first truly blackout-free electronic viewfinder, World’s fastest still image frame rate of 120 fps, the World’s fastest scanning speed, the World’s best AF scene detection system, and Best-in-class 8K video resolution and internal recording. Of course, all of those claims have a * next to them.
From the manufacturer
The new Nikon flagship. A fast, powerful AF system with subject detection developed using deep learning technology. 45.7-megapixel stills. High-speed still frame rates up to 120 fps. 8K and 4K videos. The world’s first truly blackout free viewfinder, and Nikon’s first 4-axis tilting touchscreen. All in the most intelligent, durable, comfortable and connected Nikon camera the world has ever seen.
As an Amazon associate, i earn from qualifying purchases.
Nikon Z9 Specifications
- Sensor resolution: 45.7MP
- Sensor type: Stacked CMOS sensor
- Lens mount: Nikon Z mount
- File formats – Photos: Jpeg, NEF raw
- Storage Media: CFexpress (Type B), XQD Type Memory
- LCD screen: 3.2 inch 2100 k dots, Vertically and horizontally tilting TFT touch-sensitive LCD
- Viewfinder: 0.5 inch 3690k-dot (Quad VGA) OLED with manual brightness controls
- Shutter type: Electronic shutter with shutter sound and sensor shield
- 8K Video recording: 8K UHD 7,680×4,320 / 30p (progressive), 25p, 24p
- 4K Video recording: 4K UHD 3,840×2,160 / 60 fps, 50fps, 30fps, 25fps, 24fps
- Full HD recording: up to 120fps
- Top continous shooting speed: 20 frames per second
- Shutter speed: 1/32000 to 30 sec
- Auto focus system: Hybrid phase-detection/contrast AF with AF assist
- Focus points: 493 (single-point AF)
- Vibration reduction: 5-axis image sensor shift
- Movie video compression: Apple ProRes 422 HQ (10 bit), H.265/HEVC (8 bit/10 bit), H.264/AVC (8 bit)
- Maximum movie recording: 2 hours 5 minutes
- Default battery: EN-EL18d rechargeable Li-ion battery
- Battery life: Approx. 770 shots
- Price in the US: $5,499.95 ( body only ).